Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Tis the season to not be a jerk

Listen to me now! Physical gifts are great, but really, who needs more stuff? Unless you're buying at a nice local shop (which I strongly encourage), most likely you are giving your money to China or an old white man who sends that money to people clamoring to take your rights away. This is why, to avoid headache, the best gifts are ones that will make your money DO GOOD!

Gavin and I like to use the holidays as a time to wrap ourselves in weighted blankets of guilt and remember to contribute to a few charities. It's tax deductible too! Here are some personal favorites:

The Markham-Nathan Fund: This one is blatant nepotism on my part. Let me tell you though, this is a small organization that does big work. All of your money will go towards serious justice.
Chesapeake Bay Foundation: If you don't know the importance of this lil bit'o water, get learned.
Conservation Fund: Preserving natural heritage in America so that it doesn't just become a quaint (boring) story we tell our kids.
Environmental Working Group: I don't do anything without consulting them.
Democracy Now: Amy Goodman is my co-pilot!
Center For Biological Diversity: "Works through science, law and creative media to secure a future for all species, great or small, hovering on the brink of extinction." WHAT IS BETTER THAN THAT?!
Earthjustice: The Perry Mason of the natural world.
Conservation International: "People need nature to thrive". Tell me about it!
Any and all local animal rescues. This year I dropped a money bomb on PPAWS, right here in Phnom Penh.

As you can see, I am more interested in plants and animals than people. Now you know. For those of you that are a bit more geared towards humans, there are tons of great initiatives all around you. Give them money and you will live forever! Well, probably not, but at least you'll feel better the next time you buy the same shoes in multiple colors... I hope the eight people that read this will also share some of their favorite charities/organizations in the comments.

I guess this concludes the "Gavin and Leah Holiday Card, 2012"! Love and miss you all. Do us proud out there!

2 comments:

  1. Frigging awesome, child. Love, The Nepot

    ReplyDelete
  2. My donations go to animals and plants too. Humane Society and Lost Dog animal Rescue.

    ReplyDelete